Tuesday, June 22, 2010

WARNING: Before considering getting a tattoo


Some of the most popular tattoos are the ones we don't recognize or understand how to translate... we get them because they look cool. Tribal symbols and tattoos written in an exotic languages such as Japanese, Chinese and french are commonly chosen to represent a deep meaning or reflection of ones personality... plus some things just look better written in other languages. Well, my friend has had this Chinese tattoo for a couple years now. He thinks it means "success", but when we looked it up; it was no where to be found. Did the tattoo artist mistakenly put the wrong tattoo on him? Or maybe it's written in the wrong language since Japanese and Chinese look similar to those unfamiliar to both languages. So we are wondering, has anyone ever seen this tattoo before? The whole situation is kinda funny... just as long as the tattoo has some kind of cool meaning.

13 comments:

  1. I have a couple Japanese friends, and my cousin is fluent in Mandarin Chinese I can show it to if you'd like. And Yes, I agree with you about getting a tattoo. I've thought for years of getting one, but my problem is I'd change my mind after getting it done and would hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg!! lol that's no good!! My brother has some writing in arabic on his thigh..we're like David you don't even know what that says..he says, ..ya I do..I googled it.... hahaha!! I just got a few stars...I always forget I even have them

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Chinese, Japanese and French people get English words tattooed on their bodies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone told me (who knows if this is true or not) that there was a Chinese tattoo artist who hated that everyone was getting tattoos in his language that he would purposely put the wrong wrong on them. That is crazy to think you have one thing on you your whole and find out that it's not. So I will stick to english on my body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh gosh... I hope he at least likes the way it looks since he doesn't know what it means.. that's a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like tattoos on other people. It tells me a lot about who they are and what they're trying to express about themselves. I have a friend who got an eagle tat on his arm and a phoenix on his calf about 30 years ago. The eagle was for strength, and the phoenix was to celebrate his triumph over cancer.

    I've even considered getting a tattoo, but I have no idea of what. What means something to me now may not mean the same to me ten years from now.

    And one more thing-- do NOT get a girlfriend or boyfriend's name as a tattoo. I mean, what if you break up? You're stuck with "I love Michelle" forever... and Michelle has moved on to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never seen it before. I have an incorrect Hebrew tattoo on me too, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HHHMMMM I hope it doesnt mean something odd, like cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg this is crazy!! i always wonder what if someone got a tatoo an dit wasnt what they thought it was going to be and now you post this its crazy!! ill still to the english language!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It probably means "drunk idiot" or something! :p
    I'd do Latin, only 'cause it's easy to google & looks cool. Sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting since he doesn't know he can come up wit a lot of cool stories to tell people.Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to have my future mother-in-law look at this. She would surely know what it says.

    ReplyDelete